The ruins of Thornton Abbey and Gatehouse, North Lincolnshire (England, UK).
Thornton Abbey was a medieval abbey located close to the small North Lincolnshire village of Thornton Curtis.
It was founded as a priory in 1139 and raised to the status of Abbey in 1148. It was a house for Augustinian or black canons, who lived a communal life under the Rule of St Augustine but also undertook pastoral duties outside of the Abbey.
The abbey was closed in 1539 by Henry VIII as part of the dissolution.
The site is currently in the care of English Heritage and is open to the public.